These Simply Delicious Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies will fill your home with the comforting fragrance of baked cookies and chocolate.
For over 80 years, around the world, the humble chocolate chip cookie has long been associated with home, comfort, and happiness. We’ve taken the original recipe and removed the animal products to create a vegan chocolate chip cookie that will bring that same delicious scent into your home.
Did you know that the first chocolate chip cookie was invented to accompany ice cream? Make your own with this Vegan Vanilla Ice Cream Recipe.
What makes these chocolate chip cookies vegan?
The traditional chocolate chip recipe often uses non-vegan ingredients like butter and eggs. We’ve replaced the butter with coconut oil and have used applesauce to replace the eggs!
Find out more about alternatives to eggs in Our Best Vegan Egg Substitutes
How to make these Simply Delicious Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies
As with all our recipes, these chocolate chip cookies are very easy to make and don’t require any fancy ingredients.
Here are a few tips to help you make them:
Make sure the brown sugar is packed into the cup
If a recipe calls for packed sugar, what this means is that you should squeeze it into the cup so that it’s as compacted as possible. If you don’t press the sugar down, you might not have enough sugar for the recipe which will affect the texture.
Add a little salt to bring out the sweetness
Did you know that salt actually helps bring out sweetness and flavor? Add a pinch of salt (about a ¼ teaspoon) to cookie and dessert recipes.
Add the chocolate chips last and mix gently
If you add the chocolate chips too soon, they may become squashed in the mixing process. Save them for last to make sure that you have those lovely chocolate bits in your cookie.
Space out the cookies on the baking tray
Make sure that you put a little space between the cookies in case they spread. This will also allow the heat to circulate evenly around each cookie.
Are you looking for more vegan sweet treats? You might like Our Best Vegan Tiramisu Recipe or this Delicious Vegan Birthday Cake Recipe.
Simply Delicious Vegan Chocolate Chip Recipe
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted
- ½ cup applesauce
- 1 t vanilla extract
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- ½ cup oatmeal
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup wheat flour
- 1 t baking powder
- ½ t baking soda
- ¼ t salt
- ½ t cinnamon
- 1 cup vegan chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- In a bowl, mix the coconut oil, applesauce, and vanilla essence with a wooden spoon.
- In another bowl, mix the dry ingredients together.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients and add the wet ingredients into the dry. Mix until it forms a smooth dough.
- Add the chocolate chips and mix them in gently so that they are evenly distributed throughout the cookie dough.
- Take 2 tablespoons of cookie dough and make a ball. Place it on the baking sheet. Repeat with the rest of the dough and be sure to allow space between the cookies.
- Place in the oven and bake for 10-13 minutes until golden brown.
- Allow the cookies to cool on a wire rack before eating them!