These Quick and Easy Vegan Burgers are made in 30 minutes. We’ve used chickpeas and flaxseed to create a veggie burger that’s nutritious and good for you.
The burger is an iconic American dish and probably one of the most frequently eaten foods in the US. It’s easy to make, even easier to buy, and tastes delicious.
We’ve created this recipe with convenience and flavor in mind. Instead of commercial meat alternatives that can be pricey, we’ve used chickpeas to create our veggie patty! This recipe is also great for those vegans who may be allergic to soy or gluten which is used to make many plant-based meat options.
For more recipes using chickpeas, you might like this Vegan Tuna Casserole Recipe
How to use dry chickpeas to make the vegan burger patties
We’ve used canned chickpeas for this recipe, but you can also use dry chickpeas. Here’s how to prepare them:
- Place the dry chickpeas in a large bowl. Cover them with cold water and let it soak overnight or for at least 10 hours. Drain the chickpeas and rinse them well.
- Put the drained chickpeas in a large pot full of clean water. Bring to a boil (without covering) and cook for about 1 hour until the chickpeas become tender. (You may need to cook it a bit longer than an hour if the chickpeas aren’t tender.)
- Once the chickpeas are tender, they are ready to be used or stored. You can keep them in the freezer for up to 5 months or for a maximum of 4 days in the refrigerator.
Keep the water from the cooked chickpeas or the can to make this Vegan Aquafaba Chocolate Mousse Recipe or this Vegan Marshmallow Recipe.
How to make these Quick and Easy Vegan Burgers
Here are a few tips to help you make this recipe.
Soak the flaxseeds for 15 minutes so that you can use them in place of eggs
Before starting the recipe, soak the flaxseeds in 3 tablespoons of water. Flaxseeds are a great substitute for eggs and when soaked, they have binding properties.
For more ideas on what to use instead of egg, read: Our Best Vegan Egg Substitutes
Let the patty mix stand for 5-10 minutes
Once you’ve mashed the chickpeas and flaxseeds, and added the seasoning, mix well and let it stand for 5-10 minutes. This will let the mixture bind together properly so that the shape can hold.
Shape the patties, and fry or bake
When ready, shape the mixture into four patties by hand. We fried our patties with a little oil in a skillet. You can also bake them at 400 °F for 30 minutes.
Vegan burger options
If you are gluten intolerant, you either use a gluten-free bun or use two lettuce leaves to create a burger wrap. As a super-messy option, use the two halves of an avocado to make a “bun.”
Serve your burger with your choice of toppings such as lettuce, tomatoes, pickles, and vegan cheese and a basket of fries.
You might also like our Healthy Vegan Cauliflower Buffalo Wings Recipe or this Simple Vegan Fried Chicken Recipe.
Quick and Easy Vegan Burgers
Vegan burger patties
- 1 T flaxseeds
- 3 T water
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 t salt and pepper
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- 1 t lemon zest
- 1 t chili, to taste
- 1½ cups vegan breadcrumbs
- 2 t extra virgin olive oil, for frying
To make the burgers
- 4 vegan hamburger buns
- Tomato slices
- Finely chopped onion
- Vegan cheese
- Vegan condiments of choice
To make the vegan patties
- In a small bowl, mix the flaxseeds with the 3 tablespoons of water and let it soak for 5 minutes.
- Put the chickpeas, flaxseed mix, salt, and pepper into a bowl and mash with a fork until the mixture is smooth with a few lumps.
- Add the green onions, lemon zest, chili, and breadcrumbs. Mix well and set aside for 5-10 minutes.
- Wet your hands with water and shape the mixture to make 4 patties.
- Heat the oil in a pan over medium-high heat. Cook the veggie patties for 3-4 minutes on each side.
- Serve the chickpea patties on hamburger buns with lettuce, tomato, pickles, and sliced red onion.