This Vegan Penne Arrabiata Recipe puts brings the warmth and comfort of Italian food to your dinner table. The ingredients are vegan pantry staples which makes this dish ideal for the end of the month.
There’s nothing quite like a warming Italian pasta dish on a cold winter’s evening. This Vegan Penne Arrabiata is really easy to make and is kind to your pocket. We’ve used pantry staples that every vegan should have, so if you’re lacking inspiration, give this recipe a try.
How to make this Vegan Penne Arrabiata
Penne Arrabiata is usually quite hot as in pepper hot. Our recipe is very mild, but if you prefer a hotter version, feel free to add cayenne pepper.
Here are a few tips on how to make this recipe.
Penne Arrabiata options
Not everyone can tolerate wheat, so feel free to change to a gluten-free variety. If you can’t find penne pasta, you can also use macaroni or any other shaped pasta.
Some people also prefer wholewheat pasta and that will work well with this recipe too!
Be sure to follow the cooking instructions on the packaging as time will vary depending on the pasta. The pasta should be cooked but slightly firm — al dente.
Mix the sauce first, then add the seasoning to taste
Once you’ve added the tomato sauce to the white wine and garlic, then add the herbs. You can adjust the amount depending on how seasoned you like your pasta to be. If you want to add cayenne pepper, you can add it in at this step too.
Add the cooked pasta to the sauce
Once the pasta is cooked add it to the sauce. You might need to transfer the sauce into a large pot to make sure that you thoroughly mix the sauce through the pasta.
Serve this delicious dish with a big salad and fresh homemade vegan bread. Make your own bread with this Easy Homemade Vegan Bread Recipe.
Vegan Penne Arrabiata
- ½ cup olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- ½ cup vegan white wine
- 2 cups vegan tomato sauce
- 1 T Italian spice
- 2 T oregano, dried
- 3 T parsley, dried
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 box penne pasta of choice
- vegan parmesan cheese, optional
- In a saucepan or large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook for about 1 minute.
- Add the white wine and stir to deglaze. Add the tomato sauce, mix and then add the Italian spice and other seasoning.
- Cook over medium-low heat for 3-5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta al dente.
- Add the cooked pasta to the sauce and mix it together so that the sauce covers all the pasta.
- Serve immediately with optional grated vegan parmesan cheese.